#3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 08:59
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb hi Angela

No doubt, you will be in a fasting state -- 8 to 12 hrs is required for fasting blood sugar, cholesterol and triglycerides. You would be wise to drink lots of water during this fasting time, especially on rising the morninig of the tests. No coffee or caffeine for 18 hrs prior -- they don't tell you this, but it can alter the triglyceride readings.

Any ketones present in the urine will be detected during the routine urinalysis. But unless your urine is concentrated, or you've eaten a fatty meal a few hours prior to the test, I seriously doubt that there will be more than a trace present. As a nurse, I can tell you this is considered normal, especially if the dr. considers that you have been fasting Note - routine urinalysis is done by the nurse right there in the office, using a dipstick just like the ketone strips ... but having 5 or more reactive pads on it, to test for different things -- pH (should be slightly acidic), specific gravity (how concentrated it is) , glucose, ketones and protein. Eating protein won't lead to protein in the urine unless your kidneys are diseased or your liver is unable to break down the amino acids. Protein in the urine usually indicates infection, or kidney disease.

Blood tests are expensive, so unless the doc. specifically orders for serum ketone levels to be checked, then it's not going to be looked for .. Just as for the urine test ... it's considered normal for there to be some ketones present while in a fasting state -- for all persons, not just low-carbers.

My 2¢ - Getting back the blood reports and having them be improved from previous (or perfectly normal if never checked before) would be a good time to tell your dr. that you are following a carb-controlled program. Especially since you've successfully lost weight as well. That's why I did ... my doc was skeptical at first, but impressed with improved bloodwork, lowered blood pressure and lbs lost ... plus I showed her some sample menus of what I was eating. When she saw the salads, vegetables and lean meats, olive oil .. and no chips, cookies or white bread ... she softened her view, and has been very supportive ever since.

Doctors are just a susceptible as anybody to the public mythology and media, which depicts Atkins and low carb as eating huge fatty steaks and cheese, with great gobs of lard and bacon by the slab ... and nothing else.

Good luck to you!

Doreen