#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 12:18
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Angry

Snowing, blowing, freezing, gray and gloomy again today. It's mid-March fercryin'outloud. ENOUGH! This has been a long, rough winter. Even normally bubbly folks are feeling down.

On the SAD research front, another cross-Canada study is underway, looking at bright light therapy vs. medication, also environmental and behavioural factors. There have been some interesting theories put forth, so they are hoping to find solid evidence to validate the observations.

For example - it has long been thought that geographical latitude plays a big role in determining the likelihood of developing SAD, and even increases the incidence of SAD in the population as a whole. This is showing to be true up to the 40th parallel (New York state, Oregon ...), but further north is not as influential as once thought. Meaning, compared to California, Vancouverites are much more likely to suffer from SAD, but folks in Alaska are no more likely than Vancouver. Another observation, again not proven, is that seasonally mediated depression does not seem to be common in the southern hemisphere. I'm curious to see what they come up with on that one.

I'm also interested if they are including diet along with other environment or behavioural factors. It would be exciting if they could find a link between high-carb diet, yo-yoing blood sugar levels, and screwed up neurohormones that lead to or worsen SAD symptoms. I know they are using bright light therapy with some success to treat compulsive overeating and binge-eating disorder.

The Center for Environmental Therapies has an excellent site that maintains an up-to-date list of studies and research into recognised non-drug therapies for both physical and mood disorders.

Once again, here's the UBC SAD page. There hasn't really been anything new added since late 2000. The study I described above is being headed up by Dr. Raymond Lam at UBC, and Dr. Anthony Levitt, at U of T. I'm sure it will be a couple of years before they publish their findings. **sigh**. However, the site is well-organized, as up to date as possible, and very reader-friendly...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I found this interesting prescription for good health and longevity
Quote:
Live in rooms full of light
Avoid heavy food
Be moderate in the drinking of wine
Take massage, baths, exercise, and gymnastics
Fight insomnia with gentle rocking or the sound of running water
Change surroundings and take long journeys
Strictly avoid frightening ideas
Indulge in cheerful conversation and amusements
Listen to music.

Cornelius Celsus (first century, A.D.)
Modern science is proving ancient wisdom correct ..
Sponsored Links