View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 14:19

Plan: Atkins / OWL
Stats: 260/208/190 Male 71 in
BF:
Progress: 74%

flynlee:

I'd recommend trying a medication like Wellbutrin instead of Lexapro. All the SSRI antidepressant medications will limit your ability to lose weight. Wellbutrin is scientifically proven not to. (It works in a different fashion.) It also will not mess with your sex drive. (I don't know about you, but that was important to me.)

I am a big believer in psychotherapy -- so I'm really glad to hear you'll be starting that. One option is to try to schedule an appointment sooner than two weeks. Most therapists can squeeze you in, if you're having a real crisis.

Your ideas about getting out and active are great ones. Exercise is a natural antidepressant. Do whatever you can to stay active. I found Mini Golf was a big help for me in my darkest hours. I'd go in the middle of the weekdays, and no one was there, and I was able to really get in touch with myself and relax a little.

My therapist was heavily into what they call Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy, which basically uses Meditation as a way to manage how you're feeling. (Basically, the more conscious you are of how you REALLY feel, the more you can recognize depressive thoughts for what they are.) Maybe this would help you out too.
http://www.wholehealthmd.com/hc/dep...736,453,00.html

On a personal note, my wife and I are moving to Bixby later this month. So hello from a future OKie.

H