#20   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 14:03

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Thumbs up

Quote:
On an individual level, the failure of exercise to contribute to weight loss in a predictable manner could be a major deterrent to continued involvement in an exercise program. Overweight individuals who begin an exercise program would likely remain motivated only if they see some changes in body composition resulting from their efforts.

That's why I don't exercise. But I am active (I walk everywhere possible, I hike, I dance, and I bike). I wish they would look at activity versus exercising. I don't believe formal exercising is necessary if we are active. The real problem is just getting out there and being active.

Actually, to give this article credit, they do talk more about physical activity and fitness rather than formal exercise. And they talk about being active for the activity's sake.

Quote:
Weight loss is frequently cited as one of the most common reasons for beginning an exercise program. In light of the negative results from studies on physical activity and weight loss, continued efforts in this direction may be counterproductive. Many obese individuals have become frustrated with exercise since their efforts often do not lead to corresponding changes in weight or body composition. Rather than encouraging these individuals to lose weight it is more appropriate and probably more effective to encourage them to just become physically active.

Yup! I've never had any weight-related benefit that I could tell from exercising. When I was maintaining, increasing or decreasing my exercise made no difference. The real difference being active does for me is that I feel so much better doing it. And I have fun!