Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 01:42
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
I find 1100-1200 tends to produce a pound per week loss and sounds pretty much correct compared to what I think my metabolism should be doing (all things considered). That's a fairly safe rate of fat burning I think, so it's not like I'm starving myself.

Eh, I'd say that's a pretty darned fast rate of loss when you're not technically overweight. I'm about your height and weight, and that kind of loss would be very hard on me, because my body has a TOTAL of 25 lbs of fat. Considering that 15 lbs of that is essential bodyfat that's needed for me to stay alive, you can see that the loss of a pound isn't exactly peanuts. A pound a week may be perfectly safe for someone with 75 lbs of nonessential bodyfat, but it's lightning-quick for someone with 10 or 20. I don't know if you know what your bodyfat percentage is, but I'd recommend you look into testing to figure it out, and then reevaluate your desired speed of loss accordingly. Also remember that the faster you try to lose, the larger a percentage of the weight lost is muscle, and that's exactly what you *don't* want if your goal is to improve your appearance.

As for the bruising and whatnot, frankly, I think you're just not eating enough -- that's not caloric reduction, that's borderline starvation. Whatever you think of the "starvation mode" theory, it's generally accepted that consistently eating <1200 calories is not a good idea unless you're very petite, so you're walking the line. If you're not feeling and looking healthy overall, that's probably a sign that you've crossed it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I've seen some other posts of yours to the effect that you're having some fatigue issues too?

I sympathize with the feeling of still not being happy with your body even at goal weight, but I think you're just pushing a little too fast, and that you'll be happier and feel better if you slow down some. After all, how many lbs do you think you've got left to lose in order to fit into those jeans -- three? five? eight? What's it going to hurt if it takes a little longer to get it off, especially if the choice is between good health and getting into the goal jeans in a certain period of time? That approach may make a little more sense if you're trying to fit in a wedding dress, but I hope you're not getting married in your jeans .