#3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 08:11

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW
Huett said people will return to Weight Watchers when they realize low-carb foods aren't leading them to slimmer selves.

I don't think so.

"This is a sad situation when you realize these people have little chance of achieving real weight loss since they are simply replacing their normal foods and drinks with premium-priced low-carb versions of bread, pasta, chocolate, beer, often with the same caloric content," Huett said.

No sane person is out there slamming down LC foods. Linda Huett, you should read the book.

Unfortunately, I believe Ms. Huett has a point. There will be a segment of people who "try low-carbing" by just eating LC versions of food and when they don't have the great loss the hype has talked about, they'll assume it's all a big scam and go back to WW, or do nothing. This is the peak that I don't think has happened yet. It's also been called the Snackwellization of a diet trend. The major manufacturers have picked up on a trend, and created a whole bunch of dubious products to cater to those we are not really understanding what they're doing. People will eat a whole LC cheesecake thinking that just because it's LC that they won't gain weight.

More unfortunate is that because there is a certain amount of "eat as much as you want of food as long as it's low-carb" hype about this way of eating, this phenonmenon, I believe, will be even worse than with low-fat. Hopefully, though, as the press gets a bit more educated, and as people encounter others who have been successful with the diet, some of the truth will out. I'm just afraid that there will be a bit of a backlash as the Snackwelled diet failures bad mouth the diet as all hype and the circling diet sharks will pounce and say, "I told you so! You have to eat a balenced diet and exercise." Or whatever their chosen diet ideology might be.

It's too bad that most people, and not just Americans as some (not on this forum) have tried to accuse, just want a simple answer to their complex problems. In reality, banting (living a low-carb diet) is quite simple, but there are some basic rules. Without understanding the rules, you can only get into trouble. Until the rules for banting are as well distributed and understood as the current rules for low-fat, high-carb diets, then you will have misunderstanding and frustration.

It's a long process and will require the media, doctors and officials who determine health education in the schools to change their viewpoints before it really happens, but I believe it will happen, eventually. Until then, some will fail, and will go back to WW. But I don't think their numbers will ever grow significantly ever again. Frankly, if I owned any WW or Jenny Craig or whoever stock, I'd dump it now. But then I'm not a stockbroker, analyst or even someone with a clue about the market, so don't take stock tips from me!

Plane Crazy