Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 15:24
Registered Member

Plan: Willet/Balanced
Stats: 174/151/150 Male 5'10"
BF:24%/18%/10%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarian
A professional athlete, is not like a professional in general. We work 9 hours a day, but a boxer cannot box 9 hours a day to be a professional boxer. They have physical limits...

In any case, my point is that gruiling, intense exercise will cause weight loss, no mater what diet you follow.

I don't dismiss any athlete's program. If it works for them, that's great.

I dismiss the notion that the diet of an athlete is the right diet for the rest of us, who don't follow the same intense routines they follow.

They can eat cup cakes all day, and still lose weight. An average person cannot expect the same results, unless they match their exercise intensity.

That does not prove the merit of their diet. It's proves the merit of their exercise.

Your original dismissal was too harsh. It's easier, I suppose, to state that a person's diet isn't applicable to the general population if he's a professional athlete. But this guy's just a casual athlete, who hasn't been at it for all that long. Professional athletes, by definition, earn a living from their athleticism, and they generally work out a lot more than 1/2 an hour a day. 1/2 an hour a day is not really out of reach of the general population, is it?

As to your other point - I agree that exercise is an important component of weight loss, as is diet. I reject your argument that training just 1/2 an hour a day gives you license to eat cupcakes all day. John Stone's results don't just show the merit of his exercise - they show the merit of his overall approach. How applicable that is to you is something each person can decide for themselves.