View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-01, 16:15

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

Not sure what "Life without Bread" diet comprises so difficult to comment but the other diets , Atkins and protein power do tell you to eat your veggies but do suggest those vegetables that are lower in carbs.

One easy way to remember what is a low carb vegetable and what is higher is to go for the vegetables where you eat the bit that grows above the ground or is not in a pod. Thus leave out potatoes, carrots and other "root" vegetables. You eat the "above ground vegetables, the leafy,flowery or fungal things. Lettuce, salad greens, cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms etc.

In the first phase or induction of most low carb diets you are very sparing on most fruits especially bananas but strawberries and rasberries are relatively low carb. But any of the fruits can be added back in as part of a carb controlled way of eating.

In the earlier phase the plans are light on vitamins. So it is recommended that you supplement. I have taken multivitamins as a supplement (Centrum, sanatagen etc.)daily and have found some pills in Boots with Chromium and L Carnitine which are both good to assist the fat metabolism.

Having said this there is nothing in any medical reports that I have read that suggest anything unhealthy about eating a low carb diet causes. The effect seems to be slimness, lower blood pressure, and lower cholesterol

I am no doctor but I doubt that many would claim any diet to be a primary cause or prophylactic for cancer.

Have you tried using the Fitday site to enter in exactly what you are eating and drinking to see if you are getting enough calories and nutrients, eating enough protein and controlling the carbs?

I hope the eating change works for you.. It ( eating fresh meat and vegetables) certainly cannot do you any harm