View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-01, 15:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/201/165
BF:32%/32%/25%
Progress: 14%
Default Sticking to it come hell or high water...

I thought that being in induction over the holidays might be difficult but it's turning out not to be so. I feel rather fortunate in that I'm not hungry and I don't have any desire for carbs these days.

Last night I visited my mother to celebrate Yule early (since on the actual day certain family members who are mean, nasty people will be there and I don't want to deal with the tension), and she offered me gingerbread cookies, which she has traditionally baked since I was a child. I was thirsty, but didn't have any desire for the cookies, so I politely passed. She offered sugared ice tea, but I just had a glass of water and was fine. Came home and made scallops, spinach in a buttery cream sauce and had sparkling water, and woke up this morning 1/2 pound lighter and still in ketosis. I see it as my reward and positive reinforcement for continuing.

My sister invited me to her place for Christmas eve. I will go, but she knows I'm low carbing and staying away from sugar/flour so she'll be fine with whatever I eat or don't.

So, getting to the 25th...my daughter will be visiting, and I'll be cooking brunch, so I'll have control. She eats anything without gaining weight, so what we eat won't be an issue with her. Then, we'll go the the nearby show and see one of the new releases, come home, exchange gifts and that will be it.

On New Year's, I'm going to visit friends out of state, but they know I'm on a lc plan, and they respect it.

A bit about my past: I drank a lot of alcohol when I was younger, and over the years became alcoholic. It ruined my life and I worked hard in my thirties to get off it, and then remained alcohol free for 17 years....no excuse could get me to drink a single drop, no holiday, no crisis, no nothing. However, with no support, I started drinking again in Europe, and it was one of the reasons I had a difficult time low-carbing initially, I couldn't let go of the alcohol.

Overeating and incorrect eating have ruined my life, with or without the alcohol. However, in the last two weeks I have stopped the alcohol altogether as part of my new WOE, and have stuck to lc. Already I see and feel many of my patterns changing, and I feel good about it. I've changed my life before, and I can do it again...and this is the route I want to take. Just like with alcohol, I know that binging, over-indulging, cheating, do nothing positive for me...I see them as a lapse into old behaviors, and I'm afraid this could set me off on a spiral of weight gain and low self-esteem again.

I have come to believe that if I am to effect change towards a positive goal, then I need to stay focused on it, and not do those things which were destructive to me in the distant or recent past. To me, it isn't worth the risk...I want to make these positive changes a permanent way of life...I don't want to play games with what works, because there is always the chance it might stop working due to something I did. Accidents are one thing, but right now I'm in a place where I choose NOT to make a concsious decision to do what might work to my detriment. (I know that rather than food, my greatest temptation will be the eggnogs, ciders, punches and New Year's eve will be tough where alcohol is concerned...but I've done it before, and I can do it again...and knowing they will screw up the lc for me will help give me strength to stay away.)

In short, I plan to stick to the plan throughout the holidays and after. I know that one binge, one indulgence, one cheat could all too easily knock me out of this fragile ketosis and weight loss I'm in, and I'm far too motivated right now to risk that. I'm determined to change my patterns, come hell or high water.

I have to acknowledge that I could not be doing this without the support of these forums, and the effort you all help me make each day. I'm so grateful to all of you. Please understand too, that this is only my opinion, my personal experience, and my own choices, and not meant as a criticism of or judgement of anyone else.