Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 09:00
Registered Member

Plan: Willet/Balanced
Stats: 174/151/150 Male 5'10"
BF:24%/18%/10%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by agd
I've been trying to get her use the "John Stone approach" (I don't really have a name for this, but it might be similar to the Body-For-Life approach). John Stone's website helped me find a *healthy* approach to dieting that has helped me successfully lose 20 pounds. Keep in mind that while I am a 15-year-old, and my metabolism may be giving me a boost, I managed to lose it without feeling hungry.

This site also summarizes it pretty well. I can't call it "high protein" or "low carb" -- simply put, it's just healthy and balanced. And even though some people think diets stunt teens' growth, I am certainly getting a lot more nutrients this way than with my previous garbage diet.

But I digress. I want to know what you guys and girls think the advantages of low-carbing are with respect to the other approach. Keep in mind that on that diet, one does not eat "bad carbs" (they're all GI except for post-work out carbs), just much more than you all do.

I've looked through the JohnStone Fitness Forums and find it contains very good information on general fitness. I got very specific swimming/shoulder recommendations from a 17-year old guy with excellent writing skills - so you'd fit right in.

I am in general agreement with the "eat clean" diet approach posted there, with possibly a few tweaks. For example, I agree with the previous poster that whole fruit is preferable to fruit juice, which I've cut out of my own diet.

Bear in mind that the nutritional needs of a 15-year-old, strenuously-exercising, growing adolescent are going to be different from, say, a 40ish sedentary individual who is 100 lbs. overweight, both in total calories and fat/protein/carb breakdown. You may find that you can get to a healthy weight just by "eating clean", cutting out junk food, and exercising regularly - I've managed to lose 20 lbs this way in two months. This diet isn't that far off from the Atkins "maintenance" diet, which allows you to tailor carb intaketo the individual's metabolism and level of exercise.