View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 19:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Quote:
It's odd to find a 15 year old who uses the term "I digress".

Odd, but not unheard of. I thought, 'Hmmm. This kid sounds like one of mine!'

Anyhow, I'll bite!

Low-carb diets offer certain advantages to certain people. I don't believe they are for everyone. I believe various people can handle different amounts of sugars going into their bodies with completely different results. For those of us who benefit from low-carb diets, the results will be: normalized blood sugar levels, weight loss at a better rate than on a low-fat high-carb regime, drops in blood lipid levels, certain allergies and sensitivities to foods are alleviated or disappear, blood pressure levels returned to normal, afflictions like arthritis vanish, often times mood swings are leveled out, more energy, no sleepiness from eating carb-laden meals. And the list goes on and on and on.

The truth is, genetics plays a very important role in the types of food people should eat. While most people of European descent can tolerate higher levels of carbohydrates, many aboriginal people can't. Look at what a western diet has done to native Americans. Additionally, in the past, the higher carb levels enjoyed by whites (Europeans) were mainly unprocessed carbohydrates. As more people eat more and more processed foods, the overweight are becoming even more overweight, the amount of obese children is sky rocketing and diabetes is reaching unheard-of levels.

In a nutshell, a low-carb lifestyle can and will alleviate many of these problems.