Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 14:29

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default Re: Here we go again -- Study links meat consumption with cancer risk

Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T

The study of people living in Nebraska found that those who ate the most meat had 3.6 times the risk of esophageal cancer and double the risk of stomach cancer when compared with people eating what the researchers considered a healthy diet.

"what the researchers considered a healthy diet", I think that pretty much says it all right there. I have to wonder if this attitude had biased their opinions on the research they did.

Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T

Mary Ward, Honglei Chen and colleagues at the National Cancer Institute, Tufts University in Boston, Massachusetts and elsewhere surveyed 124 people with stomach cancer, 124 people with esophageal cancer and 449 people who did not have cancer.

Pray tell were all these people in the same region? Or did they just interview people all over the place looking for "groups" they wanted and then came back with their results? Sounds very one sided if you ask me. Exactly 124 people with stomach cancer, and exactly 124 people with esophageal cancer...and 449 without either? Why not stop at 124 without either?

*shrugs* Sounds like the grain people were behind this research