#3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 11:16
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile hi Amanda-lou, welcome aboard!

I'm sure you'll get a variety of answers, but my advice is that you pick ONE program, and stick to it. Especially for the early weeks/months. Once your body is in low-carb fat-burning mode, then you might choose to mix and match different programs, because you'll be tuned to what your body really needs, not what your mind and appetite thinks you want . Check the Quick Links column to the right. At the top, you'll see "Which low-carb plan is right for me?" ... that will take you to a collection of summaries of some of the different low carb programs that are out there, including Somers and Atkins. Many of the program books you can borrow from your local library ... it really is best to do your research so you know exactly what you're doing. It's not enough to just cut out the bread and sugar. Without understanding the metabolic changes happening in your body, it becomes too easy to justify "cheating". Low-carbing isn't like lowfat or low calorie ... "just a little" sugar or white flour WILL hurt.

The orange and black coffee??? Bad news!! I'm not 100% familiar with Somers, but I do believe some fruit is permitted. However, you don't start the day with pure carbohydrate and caffeine, and expect to not suffer any consequence. You need PROTEIN for breakfast ... save that orange for a snack. Eating just an orange, which is pure carb with a little fiber for excitement ... will make your blood sugar and insulin shoot way up ... add the coffee .. zoom, more insulin. Result ... once the carbs have been used up, and they will be very quickly .. the extra insulin will make your body STORE fat, not burn it .. the exact opposite of what you want. Plus, your blood sugar will then be in your boots, and you'll be starving and ready for a nap less than 2hrs later. Of course, you'll be tempted to have another black coffee ... the virtuous dieter's best friend ... which will just trigger the same cycle all over again.

Skipping meals?? More bad news. The human body is very adaptable, and will do everything to survive. If you don't feed it, it will think you're starving and shut the metabolism down to conserve fuel (your fat stores) for the perceived famine. You need to be eating at least 10 times your weight in calories every single day, and divide that up through the day. Eat protein, lots of it.

If you want to do Atkins Induction, it's essential you get your hands on a copy of his New Diet Revolution, then you'll know exactly what you're doing. You should be able to borrow it from the library, so no need to buy anything. If you want to though, his latest edition was just published a couple weeks ago ... you might choose to buy yourself a present

Happy reading, and happy low carbing

Doreen