Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 05:36
Registered Member

Plan: Life without bread
Stats: 200/175/170
BF:
Progress: 83%
Question Some questions about low carb dieting

hi
I'm thinking of starting a low carb diet full time but first i have some questions that need answering.

First of all. I need to be convinced that low carb dieting really is healthier than vegan or high card dieting. I've read "Life without bread" , Dr Atkins book and the blood type diet book. By far the most convincing is the "life without bread" book. However it doesn't answer all my questions.

Firstly, the majority opinion among the health community, for whatever reason, is that the rural chinese diet, japenese, okinawan and to some extent the meditarian diet are the healthiest. I can see how perhaps that people who have lived for long periods in these countries may have well and truly adapted to their diets and thus find them healthy. The problem i have is that, these diets supposedly produce low cancer rates, low heart disease and a long life. This can be prooved quite easily by studying the elderly in these areas and their life long diet.

There are no elderly people around today who have followed a low carb diet all their lives to give a measure of how healthy their life has been. At least not in any reasonable amount. Why did the paleolithic people die mostly in middle age? Did they all commit ritual suicide or all happen to be coincidentally killed around that time (little far fetched)?

Although "Life without bread" is fairly convincing, i cannot objectivly critisize it purely because i am not a medical nutritionist with the knowledge and ability to see the flaws in any of the authors arguments. Its all too easy to convince somone who desperately wants to lose weight that it can be done so easily and much more healthily by eating the food we love.

Apart from that, all these nutritionists who back the lc diet talk of agriculture as the downfall of the human race. Perhaps we are supposed to adapt to this diet, and do our children a favour. Look at all the things we have achieved since agriculture first started. They would of not been possible without agriculture.

There are other problems with meat too. Mad cow disease and foot and mouth. Seems like were at a much greater risk.

Anyone use the lc diet who is physically active here? I practice martial arts and i like to work out in the gym and i need the energy to do so, anyone have experience with that?

Ok, some more simple questions now. On the "life without bread" diet can i eat as many vegetables as i want or do they count towards my daily bread count thing? Can i consume as much milk, cream and cheese as i want or does that count too?
Sponsored Links