View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 18:06

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 135/130.5/120 Female 5'4"
BF:26/???/18
Progress: 30%

Ok, went to the Dr. today. Does anyone know of a good doctor in Los Angeles. Mine SUKS A$$. He wouldn't listen, totally against Atkins, told me that all you eat is cholesterol. He asked if I've read the book, I told I had several times. Then he goes on to mention something about ketosis being bad. I just stopped listening to him cuz he didn't seem to listen to me. I went for my hip pain, shoulder pain (which i think is tendonitis), back pain and some sort of bite on my arm (which turned out to be a spider bite, which he didn't tell me what to do to get rid of the redness & itchiness).

Well, all in all, had a bad experience at the doctor. He couldn't really tell what he could do for the pain. He gave me Vioxx. Yeah drugs! NOT! He told me not to do any overhead exercises b/c of the pain in my shoulder (which has gotten better in the last week). My back pain is completely new. We were running sprints last night at boot camp and it felt like something was pushing on my lower back. I've never felt it before. But it stopped when stopped running. & the Doc couldn't figure out why. Told me to stop working out. DUH! Like that's going to happen. The Doc gave me a handout on back exercises. UGH. He suggested that I might go see a physical therapist if the pain meds don't work. When he tried to tell me that I favor my right leg since I'm right handed and I probably got off balance. I had to tell him that I am right handed, but when it comes to sports I favor my left. He ask how I know that, I had to explain that I eat & write with my right but when it come to kicking a ball, running hurdles, gymnastics, dancing, cheerleading, etc., which I have done all my life, I've favored my left. He just gave me a nasty look like I was crazy. Sorry, but I'm 34 yrs old & I think I know my body pretty well.

Then he notices my weight. & of course the scales at the dr's office are always about 10 lbs higher than the ones at the gym or home. HIs scale said 145, mine hovers around 135, depends on the day. Well, he asks me if I know what my BMI is. I said about 20. Which was pretty close to what his chart says, which was like 25. THEN - OMIGOD - he tells me I need to lose about 18 lbs to be at the low end of normal. I can't believe he told me to lose 18 lbs. I'd be major skin & bones. Doesn't he know that the amount of muscle you have isn't taken into consideration on those charts? UGH! I just nodded my head & said I'm trying, but it's hard.

So, does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do about the shoulder & back pain. The stretches some have already suggested for my have seemed to help a bit, but I still have some pain at times. Or does anyonw know of a good doctor in LA that listens and cares what their patients have to say?

So now i'm ready to go run some HIIT. I need to release some of this frustration. UGH!!!

Thanks
Aimee