View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 17:14

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

From the http://www.essentialnutrition.org/ Mission Statement! (my comments in bold)

Guiding Principles

* Appropriate advice concerning the intake of macronutrients must be based on the federal government's Dietary Guidelines and the Food Guide Pyramid, which incorporate the latest research findings regarding recommended levels of all nutrients.

LOL yep, the agriculture department REALLY knows it's nutrition! LOL

* Information regarding the intake of carbohydrates must conform to the findings of the Institute of Medicine's report, Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrates, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids, which recommends that Americans consume at least 130 grams a day of carbohydrates from a variety of sources.

I get all my carbs from a variety of sources....some from cheese, some from veggies, some from nuts....I hope my 100g/day defecit doesn't hurt me! LOL

* Just as consumers needed education about the role of fats during the "fat craze" of the 1990s, Americans today will benefit from balanced information about the role of carbohydrates in the diet. Oh and just WHEN did they get this education????? 2004 a little. Of special importance will be to make the public aware that carbohydrates include fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy products and whole grains, which are important for controlling body weight, proper gut function, diabetes management and the prevention of life-threatening diseases like heart disease and cancer.

Well, they have this right....they are essential for diabetes, etc....it's essential that we avoid them as much as possible!

* Appropriate advice concerning weight loss must be science-based and communicate the message that calories count. It is essential for the public to understand that consuming fewer calories -- whether the calories come from carbohydrates, protein or fat -- is what leads to weight loss.

Science based? Like the cholesterol-heart disease link? Oh please!

* A high priority must be given to health messages that extreme diets that exclude entire food groups -- fruits, vegetables, dairy, and grains -- are unhealthy because they are severely unbalanced and extremely high in fat. Such drastic diets are often accompanied by undesirable side effects and result in rapid weight gain or "snap back" because these diets cannot (and should not) be maintained.

I do agree we shouldn't exclude an entire food group....that's why we do eat carbs, we just eat fewer and get them from healthier sources!

* Due to the amount of public confusion in the marketplace, a high priority must be placed on advocating for effective public policy to protect consumers from misleading "low-carb" claims in food and beverage marketing.

Yes I agree! Put total carbs and fiber carbs on the labels.....ALL labels.
* More comprehensive research is needed to accurately document the optimum mix of macronutrients in the diet. Research must focus on the mix of macronutrients for the purpose of weight loss as well as for long-term optimal health.

yep, agree here.....and I'll be the research will show how unimportant carbs are in the form of sugars, grains, etc.

This web-site isn't to educate the public on proper nutrition....it's to bash LC plans......just look at their index:
Home
Mission Statement
Press Release
Opinion Survey
Executive Summary
Background on Low-Carbohydrate Diets
The Skinny on Carbohydrates
The Skinny on Low-Carb Claims
The Glycemic
IndexCharts/Slides

The Chart shows weight loss by diet....and of course, LC looses more weight and less fat than LF! LOL

I smell PCRM/PETA, although they're not on their list of "Partners".....and their list is rather lame:
Members of the Partnership for Essential Nutrition are:

* Alliance for Aging Research (WHO?)
* American Association of Diabetes Educators (not the ADA?)
* American Institute for Cancer Research (not the American Cancer Society?)
* American Obesity Association (they'll be out of buisness if LC takes hold)
* National Consumers League
* National Women's Health Resource Center
* Pennington Biomedical Research Center (WHO????? sounds like a drug company....apparently they're not, but this is their first news story: " Pennington Researchers Hope Drug Will Stop Diabetes Before It Starts")
* Shape Up America! (Dr Phil?)
* Society for Women's Health Research
* University of California at Davis Department of Nutrition (UC Davis? why not the others?)
* Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center (looks like they're similar to Pennington....but they're funded by the CDC! WOW!)

The Opinion Survey is rather comical too!

Oh well....I'm happy with this WOE