View Single Post
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 06:57

Plan: Semi-LC/Alt. Day Fasting
Stats: 229/221/150 Female 5'8"
BF:Goal is 22%
Progress: 10%

Back in the bad old days of 1998, I heard everything from getting a nasty comment from a cashier when pork rinds went across the scanner "Those things will kill you!", to dire warnings of having my kidneys fail, to heart attacks, to my mother trying constantly to feed me carbs, to predictions of putting it all back on again because "You know, once you start eating carbs again you will put it all back on and more".

Well, the last part is true. I learned carb control, not portion control, so when I started eating carbs again (eating low carb portions), I SLOWLY put the weight back on, over a period of 5 years.

The Atkids now have it easier, because I don't hear many of those comments any more, and the attitude has become much more receptive (except for hard-line low fat propagandists). I also don't tell people I low carb unless I trust them not to be a-holes about it. I had been barraged with so many well-meant death threats that I just don't bother.

So, the people who matter to me do support it, and I really don't even bother telling others unless they're receptive. I have a running commentary with a guy who recently underwent a heart attack, and HE is low carbing, and we swap food lists.

Vicky