View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 18:51

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up June 21, 2004

Today was workout 2's turn. I didn't workout over the weekend but I did go bowling last night for the first time since around 1988. For some very strange reason I felt it most in my left glutius maximus. Bizarre.

So, here's today's workout. Started roughly 5:30 pm. Lasted just under an hour.

Workout 2
Abs
Center Crunches = 20
Right Crunches = 20
Left Crunches = 20
Left Lifts = 20
Reverse situps = 10
Legs
Split Squats = 3/8 (three sets of eight) on each side
DM straight leg lifts = 3/8 ~ 15 lbs (dumbell weight each hand)
Shoulders
Dumbell Lateral Raises = 3/8 ~ 15 lbs.
Dumbell Military PressesChest = 3/8 ~ 15 lbs.
Chest
Incline Dumbell Flys = 3/8 ~ 12
Incline Dumbell presses = 3/8 ~ 15
(both of these are done laying down since I don't have an incline bench at the moment, just a flat one)
Triceps
Overhead tricept extensions = 3/8 ~ 12
Dumbell Kickbacks = 3/8 ~ 10 lbs.

Then I came back to the apartment and rowed at a high resistance (8) for fifteen minutes. I rowed 2366 meters in the time. That included a five minute cool-down row.

Evaluation:
I think I'm getting a better idea of the right weights. I also took more time between reps and that definitely helped. Last time the only real places I felt it were my abs (which I feel every time) and my hamstrings so I increased the weights all over.

The weight training felt good, but I'm wondering if I should add a split and focus a little more on my back and chest. I have broad shoulders and I think it helps me to develop my upper body a bit more as it gives me a stronger base to work from. Anyone have any suggestions?

Rowing after the workout was wonderful. Before when I rowed, it always took time for my muscles to get warmed up but this time I was already very warmed up and so it went very well. I had no problem with 15 minutes of sustained, high-resistance rowing. I didn't go fast for most of it, but I did try a few sprints in the middle. It's probably more important to keep some consistancy in stroke for the moment, but it felt good enough I gave myself a couple of sprints.

The rowing machine seems like it will be the perfect foil for the resistance weight training. It really works my biceps, back, chest, gluts and a whole lot of other muscle groups. Click here to read a good article on the biomechanics of rowing. Basically, the article breaks down the movement into the catch, the drive, the finish and the recovery. In each movement some parts of the major muscle groups are being engaged. The biggest advantage of rowing for me as a form of cardio is that it combines resistance with cardio yet is low-impact. I have no problems with joints when rowing. The low-impact is important for someone just starting this kind of activity while still heavy, and/or not as flexible as he used to be. So, I'm excited about adding rowing.

But I have a couple of questions I'm going to pose for the general workout forum if no one answers it here.

Does anyone have suggestions for splitting this out into three splits with adding more chest and shoulders and back? I also have suffered with tendonitis in my achilles tendons and shin splints in my shins. I'd like to strengthen my lower legs to avoid repeated injury, but do it carefully. Any suggestions? Also, am I missing anything important for getting back into shape? Is it ok to just start with this three-days a week with weights and rowing on the same day? Eventually, I'll work up to four days a week and then five, but I think adding another split with other exercises will allow me to develop a routine, make it a habit. "It's Wenesday so I must be doing quads..."

Thanks for reading the ramble, if anyone has gotten this far. I'm going to enjoy this.

Plane Crazy