View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 14:43

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

ezandreth, I think you've asked some very good questions. I'm pushing icky brown stuff uphill And I wasn't a true carb addict or binge eater. I ate a lot of carbs, but these past few weeks, on the occasions when I ate something not "legal" it did not trigger a binge, and I've always scored a few points under those "are you a carb addict? quizzes?" So I have no excuses I'll finish a plate of nibbles, whether it's nuts, cheese, or cookies -- I think it's reflex action, like a smoker who keeps lighting up, even though there are three ciggies in the ashtray (which I also did when I smoked). I got here by undisciplined eating patterns, too much junk food, and being a couch potato, and I once lost weight quite successfully (and kept it off for five years) using the old, higher-carb, no junk food or substitutes, Weight Watchers.

Of the few people I've known personally who tried different diets, it WAS the carb addicts and bingers who did the best, and they found, through trial and error, that they really truly could not eat a carb.

On the other hand, there's a theory that, binger or not, after a life of dieting (and I've started lots!) your metabolism is so messed up, that only low carb will work.

I do wish there was more science on this, something that really explored the variables. Is it the one slice of bread a day that kills you, or the fact that you're unlikely to eat just one slice of bread? Etc.