View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 14:09

Plan: atkins, paleo, vlc
Stats: 186/186/154 Female 60inches
BF:o/m/g
Progress: 0%
Default why is low carb easier for some than others?

I’ve been dipping in and out of various posts to this forum, which, btw, I think is utterly great, thanks Mr Tamarian, and it seems to me that for some people, low-carb is easy and natural and for others, it’s a struggle. I’m one of the former group, something that amazes me still after 20+ years of yoyo dieting and failure at the more trad diets. My definition of failure here is going from 81/2 stone to 14 stone over a couple of decades..
The point is, I have taken to low-carb like the proverbial duck to orange sauce sorry, water. I’m losing weight very slowly at the moment but I know I’m not trying too hard. I know I won’t mind going back to induction levels when I’m ready to shed again.(Hey, it’s nearly xmas.) Quite a few of the people posting report similar experiences and have absolutely no doubts about low-carb being their way of life forever.
Yet for others, it’s like pushing sticky brown stuff uphill. They get sugar cravings, they get hungry, they don’t like all the meat, they don’t lose much weight. I don’t think the difference in experiences is due to attitude or, they ain’t doin’ it right. In some cases, they ain’t, like the guy who couldn’t give up Coke, but others go by the book, hate it and give up with relief.
My theory is that it works best for people who are true carb addicts: desperate cravings, binge eating and so on. However, this doesn’t mesh with Alto’s anecdote. Could the successful bloke have been a carb addict and not known it? Dunno. Open for discussion: why do you all think it works better for some people than others? Perspiring minds want to know.