View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 20:26
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default I've completely lost my appetite and I'm concerned...

Hello everyone,
When I started low carb my appetite was completely diminished for many months. I wasn't alarmed by this, I assumed it was a natural response from my body healing (from hyperinsulinemia). My body was previously in this weight gain cycle because of my metabolic issues. Getting out of that cycle via carb control allowed my body to "see" all it's excess fat and use it for fuel. This then resulted in a natural reduction of appetite - the body was eating its fat, so it needed less food from environment.

As I lost more and more weight, my appetite slowly increased. Again, I figured this was normal. As I moved closer towards what my body considers a "normal" amount of body fat, it wants to use less of it and demands more fuel from the environment. Eventually I got to a point where my body desired enough food to lose very, very slowly. Then I started consciously counting calories.

However, the past week I've had no appetite to speak of. When I say reduced appetite, I mean it. I don't have any desire for food at all, not even treats, junk food snacky type things, or fruit (stuff I previously would want to eat even if I wasn't that hungry). I'm barely clearing 1000 calories and some days not even that much. This was very common for me early on, but things were different then (I had a lot of excess fat my body was for the first time ever capable of using, and I hadn't previously made a conscious attempt to restrict food quantity intake). I actually got scared and I forced myself to "over eat" yesterday (which, by the way, came out to about 1200ish calories). This doesn't feel normal. I'm afraid that perhaps in my efforts to speed up my body's rate of weight loss, I might have done something to damage myself. I heard that one sign of starvation is losing all perception of hunger. I don't see how it's possible that I could be starving though, I was creating only a modest deficit (not more than 300 or 400 average calories at most under maintenance) and I never allowed myself to feel "genuinely" hungry.

One potential benign cause of reduced appetite might be weather change... it's recently become *very* hot where I live. Does hot weather reduce appetite?

I'm probably just being paranoid, but it's freaking me out. Has this happened to anyone else?
Sponsored Links