View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-01, 13:46

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Interesting question. I guess it's because Conventional Wisdom, not to mention the Food Pyramid, are still geared to getting everyone to eat a low fat diet; this is what we hear or read constantly. I hadn't thought about people expecting low fat dieters to be on that diet forever, while expecting low carbers to go back to "eating normally" --- but yeah. I think you've got something there.

It's also true, though, I think, that Atkins especially is connected in the public mind with "quick weight loss." I don't see it so much on this forum, but I used to be a devoted reader of alt.support.diet.low-carb, and my impression there was a huge percentage of newbies were of the "Help! I haven't lost ten pounds this week, what's wrong???" variety (and, of course, many of the asdl-c regulars are quite the opposite, and dedicated to making this a way of life).

Maybe, too, the earlier versions of Atkins promised a five pound a week weight loss (as did Stillman) and this still lingers as a New Year's dream

Sorry about the sandwich maker. I wonder what low carb goodies you can make with it?