Old Sun, Dec-16-01, 05:01

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Default Re: Cream soups, yeah!

Quote:
Originally posted by coquina
I was stuck in my old rut of the kind of soups I used to make huge pots of in the winter, with chicken broth, cabbage, tomatoes, potatoes or rice or pasta, onions, several kinds of beans, and all kinds of veggies.

I've been stuck in that rut too. Aside from cream of mushroom, my pref is for clear broth soups instead of cream soups, and aside from Karen's egg drop soup, I haven't ventured into soup land again. ooooooooooooh how I miss it!

*LOL* Soup lovers, well, we KNOW how to make a huge pot of soup, and when to make it. I would sometimes sit at work on a dreary fall day and just KNOW it was the day to make up a big batch of cabbage soup.

If you have a copy of the old Good Housekeeping cookbook, the big format one with the section in the front with all the pictures, there is a large chapter on soups, with a to die for cream of mushroom. It needs some adjustment to make it LC. It has become a tradition in our house to have that for Christmas day lunch. I'll post the LC'd version of the recipe after Christmas.

The current Farmer's Almanac book has some recipes in it. The jambalya is amazing, and without the rice in it, would be quite acceptable. I made a big batch with rice just before I started LCing and have had to give most of it away.. It has bacon, shrimp, ham, chicken in a chicken broth with stewed tomatoes and is a bit spicy. Stick to your ribs thick soup. mmmmmmmm!

Have fun. And if you discover something interesting, please post it in the recipe section.