View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 18:23

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

It's about veal. I bought 2 pounds of veal on Friday to make veal stew. It was at a good store, one that tries to make personal service a priority, and it was very expensive (at least, I thnk $10 a pound is expensive). They didn't have any made up, but said they would do it for me, so I asked them to cut and trim 2 pounds of veal fora stew.

When I got it home, I found that he had not cubed it, but cut it in slabs that were about 3 inches by 2 inches. Each slab was also full of connective tissue that had to be trimmed before it was usable. Am I right in being upset about this? Or is this the New World Order? (I've been out of the cooking loop for a decade.)

More importantly, I blush to admit, I don't think it was veal. I bought veal for blanquette de veau years ago -- only once -- and it was pink. Every piece of veal I've ever bought was pink. This was red. It is not particularly tender. I think he gave me stew beef.

Can anyone advise? I don't mind making a fool of myself here, but I'd rather not do it there I'd like some expert advice before I take my cleaver to Fresh Fields.

Thanking you in advance, I remain, stewing.....
Sponsored Links