View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 11:41

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
IT HAPPENED by accident. Twelve-year-old Nathan Moscrop had suffered a severe bout of food poisoning and was prescribed a wheat-free diet to settle his stomach. Four weeks later, the shy farmer’s son whose school life had been blighted by dyslexia had become a confident pupil who excelled in class.

Two years on he admits: “I used to be a bit moody before and couldn’t be bothered with things, but now I’m much better.”

Nathan’s teacher, Carol Hodgson, noticed the change immediately. She said: “It was as if he’d been walking under a cloud. Suddenly he was more alert, healthier and smiling all the time. His reading ability while on the diet at home improved by a year and 5 months. After the school introduced a wheat-free diet, that improvement continued by a further 2 years and 6 months.”

This is amazing to me. I've been mildly dyslexic all my life. It's affected a lot of things in my life, but so has insulin resistance. I don't know that I'm not dyslexic anymore -- being only mildly affected, it's sometimes hard to tell I have it, but what they said about coming out of a fog has definitely happened for me since I stopped eating wheat. And since my reading problems are exacerbated by vision problems, well...

I guess this is one more symptom we can attribute to over-eating grains (carbohydrates). And it's interesting to me also that my carb problem was always grains, not sugars.