View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 15:11

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Interesting -- talk about habit and three former smokers come forth! Nat, I still count theater intermissions by one cigarette, two cigarette or three cigarettes. (Not that I smoke them, but it's my measure of time.) And it took me forever to stop reaching for a cigarette when I picked up the phone -- again, I really didn't want one. I had a reflex reaching action I love agonycat's story of cigs and the convenience store.

Karen's comment -- "I think it's habit and anticipation of pleasure that reinforces the habit" -- is very interesting. In this instance, no. It was more "Oh, going to the basement; get to have chocolate."

I also realize that there ARE people with true cravings. I've read posts here and elsewhere about people being on strict LC for weeks and then, for whatever reason, eating one piece of candy, or bread, and then going through everything with a carbohydrate in it in the house. I think that is a real, physical craving and saying "stop after the second bag of cookies" won't help.

But I think sometimes we claim "craving" when it's really "habit." I think it's useful to try to separate the two.

I remember learning something when I was in grade school, a saying by St. Thomas a Kempis -- early behavior mod -- "Habit is overcome by habit." It's so lovely and simple. If I could embroider, I'd put it on a pillow