#10   ^
Old Fri, May-04-01, 07:40
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile hi cupiedoll Karen

The other folks have given some really good advice. And good for you resisting those biscuits and goodies.

A couple of suggestions I have - add some FAT to your lunch salad. Olive oil would be perfect. The monounsaturated fat would have a beneficial effect, as well provide a little more satiety to the meal.. .. If you choose bottled salad dressing, buy non-sweet types, and choose "regular" or full-fat versions, not "light" or "fat-free", which have added starches and sugars to make up for the absent oil. Also, many cooked green vegetables are quite low in carbs, and would help to add some variety to your menu besides just a leafy salad. Broccoli, zucchini (courgette), asparagus, cauliflower (ok, it's not green .. ), green beans, spinach ..

If you can get your hands on a good food counts book, that would be very helpful for you, especially for those foods that don't come with nutrition data on the label. Corrine Netzer's "the Complete Book of Food Counts" is excellent, and I know it's available around the world (published by Dell). An excellent on-line resource is the USDA nutrient database, http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl There's also a free, downloadable database of over 6200 foods http://www.silvertriad.com/ -- once it's on your desktop, you don't need to be connected to the internet to use it, and it's set up to look like a food label, so very easy to use ..

Willpower is a wonderful thing, but remember that lowcarbing is not about denial, going without or being hungryl. The only restricted food-stuff is carbohydrates --- fats and proteins you may consume whenever hungry and as much as you need to be filled. Some other members here indicate they take lowcarb snacks and foods with them, so that when others are munching, they have something too. It gets hard after a time, to constantly go without and feel deprived, and some folks do get frustrated and abandon the program because of this.

All the best to you, and I do look forward to reading more posts of your lowcarbing success!

Doreen