Thread: Chewing gum
View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 11:08

Plan: Don't know
Stats: 260.2/254.2/150 Female 68in
BF:
Progress: 5%

I just recently found out that anything sweet that touches your tongue causes an insulin release, especially gum because it takes you so long to "eat" it. Haven't you ever noticed that your stomach will growl if you chew gum? Your body thinks you're eating and will give you physical and mental cravings. Your body wants to know why you're not getting nourishment from all this "eating" you're doing, and it begs for more food to make up for it.
It may not effect you. But some people turn into a fat storing machine when they have too much insulin in their system. It also increases insulin resistance (I can't explain why that's bad yet, don't understand it yet).
I have given up all sweets except at dinner, and I think I've started losing again. I used to chew gum and pop sugar free mints all the time and was not losing.

As they all say.... YMMV.

However, if chewing gum is the only way you can keep from smoking, then I would suggest chewing. Some things are more important than "quick" weight loss. And if you stick to your low carb diet, you will not gain weight, and you will be ready to start losing again once you give up the gum.

Whenever I feel my oral fixation coming on, I take a sip of water. I keep a gallon on my desk. I still smoke however, so I cannot compare the severity of the craving.