View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 09:00
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I've been lowering my calories to get my weight loss moving too.

I'm curious where you got the calculation to go from your BMR to daily calories burned. The information I've seen says that for sedentary, seated work, you take your BMR & multiply by 1.2 to get your daily calories burned. By your calculation you are multiplying by more than 1.5. I think maybe your calorie deficit isn't as high as you think. Of course, if you've hardly lost at all in the last few months, something still isn't right, even with a lower calorie deficit, you should be losing more pounds.

Also on this topic, I've been thinking lately. If you believe that the calorie equation is valid, then we take our calories in less the calories burned and that should equal our weight loss. We know our calories in, it's measurable and verifiable. We know our weight loss, it's measurable and verifiable. What we don't know for sure is our calories out. That we guess at based on complex formulas designed by researchers, but everyone knows some fat person who can't lose on a low-cal diet and a skinny person who eats double what we do and never gains an ounce. So it seems to me that the metabolism varies greatly from person to person and to think that we get an accurate assessment of our calories out based on a calculation that treats everyone the same is not reasonable.

I guess what I'm suggesting is that maybe you don't have a calorie deficit at all. Based on known factors, calories in and weight, the only factor unknown is calories burned. If weight loss is zero, then calories in must be by definition equal to your calories burned, regardless of what the BMR calculators tell you.

Just random thoughts, I'm not even sure I actually believe that calories in less calories out equals weight loss formula is truly accurate anyway. As someone here keeps saying, what does burning food in a test tube have to do with converting food to energy in a body anyway?

Valerie