Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 14:29
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlo
I think my first mistake was not subtracting fiber .. so i get 27grams net carbs. I don't like broccoli raw so I choose "Broccoli Cooked" in Fitday.

Aha, that would do it. Generally, it's best to measure vegetables raw, preferably by weight with a kitchen scale, because they cook down to an extent, and how much depends on how much you cook them. If you cook your broccoli to mush, a lot more will fit in a measuring cup than if you lightly steam it! Cooking doesn't change the carb count of the vegetable at all, unless of course you add something else to it in the preparation, so it's fine to enter it in Fitday as raw even if you eat it cooked . Also, you sometimes have to watch Fitday, because the "cooked" foods often assume the addition of fat or some other common ingredient (like milk in scrambled eggs). Enter in the whole raw food, and add any toppings or cooking ingredients separately.

(The exception to this is meats like ground beef, which lose fat and consequently calories when cooked and drained. I measure these raw too, but then use the "raw, yield after cooking" to get the real values. For example, I weigh out 4 oz of raw ground beef, which I enter as "ground beef, lean, cooked", and then choose "oz, raw, yield after cooking" -- the counts are substantially lower than 4 oz of "ground beef, lean, raw", because of all the fat that cooks out of the meat.)

FYI, while many people are skeptical of "net carb" numbers that involve subtracting sugar alcohols, it is always safe to subtract fiber, which is not digested and therefore can have no impact on your blood sugar/fat storage mechanism.