View Single Post
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 19:17

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

"There was an article (I believe that it was in the new issue of US News -- in a series of articles about obesity) that talked about how low income and inner city populations do not have access to fresh fruits and vegetables and they can get more "bang for their buck" calorie wise buying cheap fast foods. Even if they know what they should be eating, if it is not available or affordable, people will choose what is available and affordable."

I agree. I saw a show on Dateline, 20/20 or some show recently and they followed a few people around, talked to nutritionists, etc.

People in the really poor areas don't have access to many fruits and veggies, and the ones they can get are very expensive. They mainly have just "corner market" type places to shop at, or they ahve to travel long distances to get to "real" food stores. The stores in the neighborhoods offer high carb items like Ramen noodles very very inexpensively. There are usually plenty of fast food places around tho! One man they followed around walked part way home from work every day and went past several fast food places, but not a single food store.