#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-01, 22:22
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb Bacon ... fewer carbs and less fat than I thought

For a long time, I believed that bacon was very fatty, high calorie .. and somewhat carby as processed meats tend to be. I've seen it stated that 3 slices had over 30g fat, and 1g carb. Not that fatty is bad ... in my case, I was actually trying to increase calorie intake, so bacon seemed to fill the bill nicely -- over 300 calories for 3 slices, so I thought

My kitchen scale weighs in 1g increments ... so one day, I weighed 3 slices of bacon after I'd cooked and drained on a paper towel ... the 3 slices together barely weighed 20g! It dawned on me that the high fat and calorie count was for RAW bacon ..

www.fitday.com includes a listing for cooked bacon ... so does our carb counter tool here at the lowcarb.ca Tools page. It makes a big difference if you're keeping track .. fat content is reduced by 2/3, and the carb count is a bit lower too, since traces of the curing sugar will leach out with the drippings.

I buy President's Choice 50% Less Salt bacon ... (generally, salt-reduced bacon has less sugar in it too). The label states:
  • For 3 slices raw -
    Energy ... 322 cal
    total Fat .... 32g
    cholesterol ... 45mg
    total Carb ... 0.3g
  • For 3 slices cooked -
    Energy ... 107 cal
    total Fat ... 9.2g
    cholesterol ... 22mg
    total Carb ... 0.2g
Just an observation ... for those folks who avoid real bacon for the high fat content, it's not that high! And for folks relying on the "high" fat and calories ... better have a few more slices!

Doreen
Sponsored Links