#7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-01, 09:51

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Ororo
I'm losing weight, so I assume that not eating a lot of fat doesn't prevent me from participating in the program. Correct? Isn't this better for weightloss anyway? That is, my body will use already stored fat (once the carbs are consumed) rather than storing fat anew and consuming the new fat?

Being a near vegan most certainly does not preclude you from LCing, Ororo. It just takes more planning. And no, it really isnt better for your loss if you consume less fat. You may lose weight initially with low fat, low carb but you will not be able to sustain it; and chances are you're going to lose more lean muscle mass than stored body fat. When you remove carbs from the equation a few things happen.

1) Your calorie count goes down. This must be fixed; low cal and low carb do not work for fat loss. It is possible to eat only so much protein; and with carbs out of the picture the calories must come from fat. You need to be eating enough to fuel your metabolic proccesses or your body will shut down. It will not burn fat, it will hold on to water and fat and it will start sacrificing lean muscle mass. 10 - 12 times your body weight in calories is the minumum you need to eat every day.

2) In the absence of carbs dietary fat cannot be stored. I should say in the absence of insulin. Fat is metabolically inert; it causes no change in either glucagon or insulin in your body. Without carbs dietary fat will be burned, not stored, but it must be present for fuel.

There are other things you can add to your menus to increase fat; sardines, olives, olive oil, avocados, flax oil, mayonnaise (use 2 or 3 times the regular amount).

If you're interested in learning more about how LCing works and why fat is something you need get yourself a copy of "Protein Power " by the Eades. It explains in easy to read detail why LC works the way it does. It really is a must have for any LC library.

Nat