View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 08:30
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Lynn - I had weight loss surgery in 1999. I went from 340 lbs to 220 lbs. And then slowly started to regain the weight. By Sept 2003 I was up to 297 again.

Weight loss surgery is not always the whole answer. It wasn't for me, though I don't regret having it at all, I'd probably have hit over 400 lbs by now without it.

For me, carbs are the problem. As soon as I stopped eating the refined carbs and starches, my hunger went away and I was able to control my food intake and lose weight.

Now they teach you to eat low carb when you have weight loss surgery (WLS) but they never told me why - that it was the blood sugar/insulin thing that affected hunger. All they told me was to eat protein & veggies first to get your nutrients in. Well, I did, but I still ate some carbs, so the whole hunger thing was re-created and then as I ate more to fulfill the hunger my stomach started to expand its capacity and before long I could eat regular sized meals again.

Now I used to (pre-WLS) be able to eat huge meals, so I'm still better off for having the surgery, but I wish I'd known the mechanics and reasoning behind low-carbing when I had the surgery, I would have lost all the weight I think and probably not regained it all.

So, bottom line, I think for someone who is very, very obese, weight loss surgery can be a good idea, especially if there are imminent health dangers to be considered, but if carbs are also a problem, then low-carbing with the WLS is essential for success. And if carbs are the problem, and fast weight loss is not urgently needed, many can lose the weight they need to without WLS and its inherent risks.

If you don't want WLS, tell your parents you don't, and tell them it's not a perfect solution. Many, many WLS patients eventually regain all of their weight back, I'm an example. If low-carbing works for you, then you will be able to lose your weight without WLS.

Val