#9   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 13:51

Plan: UD2
Stats: 195/180/175 Male 68 inches
BF:15%/8%/7.0%
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by iekeikei
A new theory I have heard is that soy products can actually lower ones metabolism, saw this on what I would believe to be a very reliable source, any one else heard such claims? i did some looking over the internet to see if there were websites on the issue and sure enough. Also, i have found that soy can increase a persons risk of breast cancer.
Anyway, I am just looking for any form of advice.

Soy has actually been shown in more than one study to increase metabolic rate via an increase in thyroid output. There is no research that I've seen to the contrary, so unless the "source" has some link to the research, forget it. As to the breast cancer issue, the Mayo Clinic http://breastcancer.about.com/b/a/047085.htm seems to think otherwise. The estrogen-like substances in soy are NOT estrogen, and in fact the evidence so far indcates that these substances might LOWER actual estrogen in the body.

As for your diet, try a vegetarian CKD. Works for me... I'm down to single digit BF levels now. I started in February and lost about 25 lbs of mostly BF, with very little LBM lost in the process.