View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 08:01
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Your liver will make as much glucose as your body needs from protein, as long as you're consuming adequate amounts and not going for long stretches between protein-containing meals. So technically, carbs aren't an issue.

The symptoms you describe could have any number of causes, most of them benign, but there's a possibility might be something more serious going on ... so yes, definitely see your doctor to have things checked out.

First thing I thought of when I read your post was dehydration .. which could aggravate low blood pressure. I sneaked a peek at your journal, and it's not really clear if you're drinking adequate amounts of water on a regular basis? Ketosis has a strong diuretic effect, so you need to drink lots of water to replace the added losses. If you drink tea and/or coffee (including decaf) those only increase the diuretic effect, so you need to drink extra water to compensate. Otherwise your menus look ok, for Induction level. BTW, have you checked your blood pressure lately?? Perhaps if you're near a pharmacy that has a free blood pressure machine, you could check it a couple of times .. say half an hour apart, and especially when you're having the symptoms you described. This would also be helpful information for your doctor when you see her (him).

Besides fluid loss, the diuresis can also cause increased excretion of important minerals ... notably potassium and magnesium. Low levels of both can lead to the fatigue, muscle weakness and palpitations that you describe. You can read more about the important roles of potassium and magnesium in this post, and suggested dosage. Hopefully your doctor will check your blood levels of these minerals (called electrolytes) as part of your check-up.

Keep us posted how you're doing!!

note - Persons who take heart medications, diuretics or other meds for blood pressure should not take supplemental potassium or magnesium without first consulting their doctor or pharmacist.

Doreen