#2   ^
Old Wed, May-02-01, 19:21
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi Ruth,

Um, your menu looks a little low on carbs for the whole day, actually, no more than15 gm there. Induction level of 20 carb grams is for two weeks only, then you should move to OWL (ongoing wt. loss) by adding carbs in 5 gm per day increments, one week at a time, until you reach your CCL (critical carb level) -- which is the level of carbs you should stay at till goal. If you hit a plateau, ie, no weight or inches lost in more than 4 weeks, then it's reasonable to go back to Induction level to restimulate ketosis. Truthfully, a stretch of a month or so at 20 gm/day is probably fine, but the goal should be to get the carbs up to OWL level once things are rolling again. Try adding more veggies, have a spinach or mushroom omelet for breakfast, or some 4% cottage cheese, it's 4 carbs for 1/2 cup, and 15 gm protein ..

No mention of coffee, have you recently cut out or cut way back on caffeine?? That could explain the morning headache. The other thing, do make sure you're drinking buckets and buckets of water to flush out those ketones -- don't want them accumulating. I tend to suspect low potassium, since you mentioned you only sprinkle a little of the half salt on your eggs. I don't use the salt shaker a lot either, so I buy the NoSalt, the pure potassium one. It's about $4 at most grocery stores here in ONT, so guessing similar in BC. Take 1/8 tsp and stir it into a glass of water, then drink it down. The taste is very, very faint, as if you'd put in a single drop of lemon juice and a few granules of salt. 1/8 tsp will yield 320 mg potassium, and as long as you're still having the headaches, I'd take it twice a day, unless you have severe kidney disease, or are taking blood pressure medication. Once the headaches let up, then once a day for the duration is fine. One $4 shaker will last a very long time!!

The metformin (glucophage) acts by enhancing the effectiveness of insulin, unlike the glyburide you were on before which lowers blood sugar (see I remembered .. ). Do make sure you take it with your meal, or immediately after, never on an empty stomach.

Hope this helps,

Doreen