View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 13:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/177/160 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Could you amplify on the protein issue Robert......

Just running through some Dr Atkins list of Fat Fast 200 - calorie items (five a day making a total of 1000 calories ) there does seem to be a balance of fat and protein. These are from food manufacturer's labelling:-

30 g macadammia nuts 2.8g Protein 23g Fat

60 g pate 7.7g Protein 17g fat

For the following items I have used the kCalories per "portion" to make up the 200g Atkin suggestion using Carolyn Humphries Carbohydrate Counter and then proportioned the protein and fat content according to her breakdown

60g brie (or cream cheese) 12.5 g Protein 17g Fat

After the first four days the 200 calories per "meal" is increased to 300 but having four "meals" a day instead of five - making a total of 1200 daily calories.

Atkins lists a chuck steak but at the moment I can only find figures for a rump or sirloin steak that would probably have more fat.

60 g rump or sirloin steak (300 calories) 37g protein and 16.5 Fat

My own "treats" have been:

a rollmop (180 calories) with 12g protein and 12g of fat

a smoked mackerel fillet (531 calories!!!) with 28g of protein and 46g fat. That was really filling and I didn't need the next 200 calorie meal!!!!

Maybe the diet should be renamed the "Fat and Protein Fast"

Neverless I heed your advice concerning potential muscle loss but am reasonably satisfied the fat is disappearing from the stomach area.

This of course must be read in conjunction with Atkins health WARNING in my first post.

Thanks

Vic