Thread: Back to Basics
View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 15:56

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

"Why would someone not want to move on to the latter stages of Atkins which gives them more nutrition, better variety and a healthy maintenance? For some it doesn't work that way, depending on their various health conditions. For me, a higher level of carbs will make me sick and set off a lot of different conditions I have. Understand, some of us are actually allergic to a higher level of carbs. I am allergic to Americanized soy, gluten, corn, rice, and high glycemic foods (which set off my blood sugar levels), along with most chemicals that are put into food. I may never be able to have these items again. And I am ok with that. I do not feel deprived in the least. There are so many other healthy choices out there for me. "

I actually was thinking more along the line of fruits and veggies but I can certainly understand how someone with allergies definately could care less about trying to add in those grains!

I guess after seeing on the poll how many people never plan to leave induction I just wondered if they were staying 20 carbs but added back the yogurt, fruits, nuts etc. (I don't count staying under 20 carbs as induction if you have added back phase 2 foods) I mean the actual induction list is a bit short and restricts a lot of cheeses and dairy, all fruits, nuts and some veggies. You are right though it does allow 3 cups of some veggies but if you followed induction as it's listed 2 cups of those would be salad veggies and only 1 of the 'other' veggie catagory.

I agree 20 carbs a day doesn't necessarily mean someone is deprived (and it certainly wouldn't be if they did in fact add back the nuts, fruits, cheeses, etc) BUT... If they are stopping at the induction list there is a lot they are missing out on.Your list includes many things not on induction even if you are staying under 20 carbs and that I can understand because you have added back that variety I was talking about. But you can see where I was coming from now at least.

Also, I basically just stuck SBD up there because so many people DO stay so low carb. Even Atkins mentions that some can do 100+ carbs a day depending on metabolism and activity and I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I pretty much just felt a lot of guilt for the amount of carbs that I can handle when I see so many that can't that post daily about things they only dream of having but never will touch again. Or they try OWL for a week and give up because of a stall. I never really cared about stalls. I was eating healthy and happy with adding new foods whether the scale stuck or not.

Also, I am pregnant, I don't eat any land animals and I hate fried or oily foods, they upset my stomach so that naturally puts me lower fat even without trying. Plus.. SBD gave me a reason to quit counting carbs so I could focus more on just eating the right things for the pregnancy.(even if they happen to be on the atkins list too) It was actually kind of scary counting up those carb numbers and seeing how many I was having at the end of the day after so many months of trying to keep them low. I am happier not seeing them. I do occasionally plug in to fitday just to check that I am still on track but I don't do it daily anymore. It was becoming a serious source of stress trying to keep all the numbers right.

Jenn