View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 15:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

That is so sad. I saw a special on television once about severely obese children and it was hard to watch. One child was removed from the home and naturally lost weight after the parents swore it was not possible. There is also a form of retardation, and I apologize for not knowing the name offhand, where children have uncontrollable appetite problems and tend to be obese. So, the factors that cause childhood obesity, at least the severe forms, seem to vary widely.

I don't think legislation is needed because these problem cases are already covered under child abuse and neglect. In some cases, it is considered medical neglect. The last thing we need is more laws!

I was a single parent for my kids from the time they were toddlers to the time they were adults. Gosh it was hard! But let's not gang up on someone who stated an indisputed fact. Nearly every long term study shows that children from single parent households struggle harder in a number of areas. And the economics of being a single parent seem to have a lot to do with it. I think I was a great parent, but overall, kids do better in two-parent homes. That is just a general rule so of course there are wonderful exceptions. But I don't think the poster was making a false statement .

Orchid