Old Thu, May-27-04, 09:10

Plan: EFGT/Nourishing Trads
Stats: -/-/- Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
[B]
Committee chairman David Hinchliffe said: "We have lost the plot with public health perhaps for the last 30 years.

This seems to be the only meaningful quote in this article. If only they could stop looking at the wood and see the trees.

Liz - I am confident that my daughter will make the right choices with food (for the most part) even in the light of vending machines with sugary drinks and so-called healthy carb-laden snacks, but the majority of children are not well educated in this regard, especially those from a low-income background where cheap food is all important.

Also, its important to remember that peer-pressure is extremely significant at this age. If friends are eating chocolate and coke then most children will want to be the same as their friends. My daughter struggles with this aspect daily and I have great respect for the restraint that she shows (most of the time! ) Thus, I'm still aghast that the school should introduce vending machines, especially as most vending machines sell processed, packaged foods - which, in the healthy low carb world, is what we are trying to avoid.

Yoda - I maintain that "healthy" foods such as cereal bars are processed and full of sugar and preservatives and thus extremely bad for young metabolisms. The school calling them "healthy" doesn't change that basic premise.