Thread: just a thought
View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 21:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Interesting thread Bam and much to think about.

When I was new to the forum, I was often frustrated hearing about people who needed to lose 10 pounds when they weighed less than I EVER had! I had very little sympathy when I read about their struggles. I couldn't relate to them at all in anyway.

I guess I am a person who needs to be humbled every now and then (or a lot) and some things were pointed out to me that were definitely humbling. My current weight is some folks goal weight. There are people who cannot imagine being at the low weight of 243. It was pointed out to me several times (and kindly I might add) that my struggle is not the begin and end all of struggle. That there are people who have a tougher road to go of it than I do. So I have to remember, that in some folks' point of view, I don't have to far to go, and shouldn't complain about my weight (which I do a lot of ). I think it is all relative.

I am also glad we have a Triple Digits Club forum because I think our issues are unique. First of all, we are going to be around a long time if we want to reach our goal weight. And many of the challenges we face in terms of exercise ability, prejudice, health issues, etc. we definitely have in common.

I also raise an eyebrow when I see someone who is trying to get under their healthy BMI level or wants to be under their healthy weight range. But we have to be careful because some people (for instance Asians with small bone structure), might not actually fit that range. Sometimes we don't know enough about them to really know what it is all about. But if they are doing unhealthy things I don't it is such a bad idea to practice some "tough love" as we would anyone of any weight who was doing something very dangerous with their diet.

At 47, its hard for me to remember when I only had 10 vanity pounds to lose but there was such a time I remember! I wish I had found low-carbing then instead of now good grief! Often those 10 or 15 pounds are extremely hard to lose as we often see from TDC members who get close to their goal weight. So, I do understand the hard struggle that many people will endure trying to actually get to their goal weight.

I didn't get heavy until well into my twenties. I wish someone (a doctor, my mother, etc.) had noticed that I was gaining and helped me early. But I was always told not to worry about it. Hopefully some of these people coming here for support will never walk in my shoes. Hopefully, they will find this WOL works before they ever get to where I got. I am glad they are trying to do something early.

Dealing with our feelings is important so I am glad you felt like venting! This is a long journey and many issues come up for us along the way. You are among friends here!

Orchid