#10   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 11:05

Plan: Whole Foods (my own)
Stats: 135/127/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

Lots to respond to:

Quote:
I have a theory about carb loading. It is, or so it seems, necessary for those whose bodies are accustomed to performing with carbs. Therefore the body will have a difficult time performing on the other fuel, fat. After the passing of time and hard work , the body will be able to function just fine on fewer carbs. Hunter gatherers used fat for fuel.

I would agree except I don't know how that works for very long distances like I run (20 + miles). I think you need every carb you can get, personally, before you attempt to do something that long. Hitting "the wall" means your body runs out of glycogen - and your legs do not move anymore

Quote:
As someone who would blow their knees out if she tried to run but desperately wants to, I have a couple of questions for you runners: 1. How much should I lose before attempting to run? 2. How to I work up to running from walking? 3. For the...um...well endowed woman, how do you strap em down without uni-boob?

Start out by incorporating running into your walks. Even if you incorporate 2 minutes of a running into a half hour walk, you'll be amazed at how quickly you can build up. I've seen many people go from being overweight to marathon runners. The body is a remarkable thing

Re: carb loading, I had also heard this "load before a workout" theory in this forum under exercise. Seems a lot of the serious exercisers here do this. Carb loading for a marathon is different, its about a 7 day process where you fuel up almost entirely on carbs to build the muscle glycogen, and its only for the race. For most shorter workouts, you shouldn't need to carb load