Old Tue, May-25-04, 20:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius
My suggestion:
Explain to him how insulin works (trust me you will look really smart and stuff). Explain to him that what you are doing is a "short term" step to get to point in your life that will ultimately make you feel and look better. What is a few months out of your life to achieve this incredible goal. If he is the type to never really look at what he eats... I suggest making a bet with him that you can make him feal and look so much better in a short time IF he is willing to listen to you and try a different approach.

The hardest thing to explain to someone is just how counter intuitive this lifestyle really is. Fat is good... refined crappy carbs are not LOL. He will watch you physically change in front of his very eyes -- trust me I have half my office on low carb diets after I lost 60 lbs.

Otherwise I was kidding about the large screen tv and sports package. However the strippers and booze are a good thing as long as he has low carb beer that is.

I am a software developer. My brain is currently full, to overflowing, with NotesFactory API and UndoManagers. There is room for no more unless it is squashed in in a particular fashion. I understand insulin stuff in concept, but as soon as I cram it into my brain, it falls out of my ear. Perhaps if I develop an algorythem for it, it will stick where it should.

All I know is if I eat certain stuff I feel better, and other stuff makes me mushy. He *gets* this and completely supports me; even if I can only explain it after 3 glasses of wine.

I do wish he'd make an effort to eat healthier - he's underweight, as I said, AND he's begun to race motorcycles - this takes an incredible toll on his body. He's got the perfect racer's form - tall, slim and muscular, but he needs to be bigger. He just doesn't eat much, and half of it is crap. It's *somewhat* better now as he'll often eat what I eat - plus a potato with everything. However he's also in the IT industry (we like to get our geek on) and he travelles a lot. Crappy convention food, fast food, busy schedule... He always comes home 5 lbs lighter and it takes me a whole week to get it back on him. (use milkshakes, high fat-protien items, etc).

And no, I am not financing a weekend for him at bouncy bars so forget it. It's bad enough I have to watch his crazy self on a racing bike.

Thanks for the kind words; would be great if I could challenge him to eat better. Will continue to think of ways to do it. He just doesn't *think* about food!