View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 14:39
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 250/210/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Granted, I am not on the Atkins plan, but from what I understand induction for SBD is very similar to Atkins. I think it's very important to understand that all bodies are different and those different bodies respond differently to the foods they eat.

I could only do SBD induction for 6 days. In that time I lost 12 pounds (totally unhealthy), became weak, dizzy, light-headed, and faint. I experienced extreme fatique and lethargy. I was losing my ability to concentrate on anything going on at work or at home - I just wanted to sleep! No one told me I was cranky, but it might be because I was so totally spaced out most of the time!

After 6 days I knew I had to change things, and went off of induction and went into phase 2 where I could start incorporating carbs back into my diet. It took about 24 hours, but with just the addition of a few carbs (oatmeal and fruite), I felt stronger, less tired, and felt alert. Within 48 hours I was back to normal - and I've lost a total of 17 pounds in 3 weeks, so it's working for me.

I know some people can stay in these induction periods or phases for weeks and sometimes months and not feel any adverse effects. That's great, and if it works for them then I'm happy for them. But I think it's important to realize that induction might not be something that some people can tolerate for long periods of time. (And a long period of time is subjective, for me it was less than a week)

Interesting article, but I do think it unfair to state the diet as a whole makes one cranky. In the beginning, maybe. But people can be cranky over many changes in their lives. To blame low carb is truly unfair.