View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 18:19

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
"Nobody knows in type II diabetes what goes wrong with the beta-cells," says Newsholme. "They simply become dysfunctional."

Can you say insulin resistance? Think about it, when your pancreas has to over-produce insulin, it starts to wear out and it becomes less and less efficient at producing insulin. This seems to be a no-brainer to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsblues
Its my understanding that Type 2 is not a problem with insulin production at all, but merely an advanced stage of insulin resistance where the pancreas produces more and more insulin to lesser effect. The solution as we all know is a simple case of adopting a low carb WOL which reduces the requirement for so much insulin in the first place and can over time improve insulin sensitivity. If I am right, doesn't that make most cases of type 2 much more of a symptom rather than a disease?

Actually, I think it's called type II diabetes while it's still insulin resistance and at that stage it's treated with pills. But when the pancreas wears out, the person with diabetes starts needing insulin shots, that's when it should really be called diabetes. Insulin resistance can be cured with low-carbing, when it graduates to insulin dependence, it may be too late -- I don't know.