#14   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 08:43

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy007
I noticed you're doing the Rock & Roll marathon. I live in San Diego. I just moved to right on the beach in Del Mar...that is my motivation to get into running again (1 of them anyway)...it's just too beatiful to go to the gym instead. The La Jolla Half marathon went right past my door. Good luck to you...it seems like a really fun event!! There is a haf marathon coming up in August called America's finest city....I'd love to make that my goal...but I think 2.5 months might be pushing it w/my asthma...I don't think I've ever gone more than 4 miles!!
Cindy, exactly that is how my marathon dream was born - watching wonderful South California races.
(Here is my account: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...96&postcount=63 )
This area is really a running paradise. We live in Orange County, our Marine son commutes between Camp Pedleton and San Diego/Coronado. NOT to get the runner/walker fever is almost impossible. Here in Orange County there is some running/walking race every week during the year.

About the August half marathon - you can WALK/Jog it:-) In the first Olympic marathon in 1896 the competitors run AND WALKED in the race. Even if you want to run the whole distance, you do not need to run more than 4 miles. ONLY ONE. Then repeating it 13 times (This is not a joke, this is a basic beginner strategy.) The only reason I would not recommend it so soon (in 2 1/2 months) to prevent leg injuries.

If you interested to jump on the marathon wagon, check John "Penguin" Bingham's other book: Marathoning for Mortals. With detailed plan for walking/jogging half and full marathons. It is a hilarious book.

You might conisde to add another book (you know, only to get the free shipping option from Amazon ) Stu Mittleman: Slow Burn - how to run on FAT FUEL forever, how to discover the real joy of running, etc. A MUST book for any lowcarber.

Good luck, and see you soon on the road.

Eva