Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskllsws
[QUOTE=tofi]
I have problems with the reference to eat LIBERAL amounts of fat and protein. I had concern about what the line is between liberal and too much.
Since I had not lost anything on induction I was concerned I was doing something drastically wrong...

...Obviously some on this forum feel that if your calories are too low, or your fat is too low you will stall. I know this is not in the book. Some also say that if you are consuming too much protein it is turned to glucose.

Karen

Hi there.

My .02, from someone who wasn't ever obese, but WAS very close to the edge, and growing, before getting off that train and starting Atkins.

I have lost, and kept off, over 30 pounds since the fall of 2001 when I started low carbing.

My suggestion to you is to eat until you are no longer hungry, drink LOTS of water, and keep your % cals from fats at 65-70% of total cals. With <20g from carbs, the rest, by default, is protein at around 25-30% of total cals.

This high-fat ratio will keep you from glycolyzing (converting into glucose) too much of the protein you eat.

Many who fail on Atkins do so because they cannot wrap their heads around "fat is good" after YEARS of being indoctrinated with "fat is BAD".

Plug a few days worth of food into www.fitday.com and see what your ratios look like. Forget calories for now.

If, after cranking hard on the fats and water, you are STILL stalled after 6 weeks, start looking at common stall-worthy items, such as cheese, too many nuts, "frankenfoods" such as atkins or protein bars, sugar alcohols, alcohol, aspartame, or coffee. Oh, and get in at least 20g of fibre a day. Constipation can actually slow down fat loss.

Meanwhile, if you are not yet incorporating exercise into your regime, please consider doing so. You don't have to KILL yourself, but a good brisk walk for 30-60 minutes every day or second day can work WONDERS when you're first starting out. Feels good, too. Later on, we'll get into resistance exercise, but for now, just move.

Good luck, and try to not get discouraged.

- Built