#27   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 22:00

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwdimmitt
The premise seems to be that fat people are discriminated against, and that, that is fairly unique, and very unfair.

The premise is correct regarding the unfairness, but very much incorrect on the uniquness aspect.

Why are you strugglling with making Atkins a successful WOL if you do not see that the discrimination against the obese if based in realistic worries about health, mobility, sexual desirabilty, and a healthy self image??

I agree that discrimnation against fat people is not unique, but to say that it's because people care is totally unrealistic. The discrimination I've felt and witnessed of all types has never been because the discriminator cared about the person they were discriminating against. Discrimination (prejudice) is just plain wrong. We discriminate against people to give ourselves a higher sense of worth -- to convince ourselves that we are somehow better than the next person -- or because we do not understand or cannot accept the person's differences. And I know from experience that it's very hard not to discriminate and I still have problems with it.