View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 21:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Quote:
It is about (and beware, this is my newbie, never actually been on atkins YET opinion ) allowing you to both restrict caloric intake and eat healthier, more natural foods by eating in a way that controls the hunger/craving response

In a way, yes. But it's not all about calorie control. Sure, if you consume too many calories your body isn't going to want to turn loose of the weight as readily. However, you can eat quite a bunch more calories on this and still lose weight at a reasonable clip.

Overall, I haven't lost a lot, but then I also had a health issue crop up after the first of the year that limited my activities, and at the same time I felt so cruddy I didn't bother monitoring my FitDay account. For me, keeping track is crucial. I found, though, that when I was losing it was at a faster rate (I'm 44 years old now) than when I was on a low-fat diet 16 years ago.

My biggest problem is blood sugar. If I eat low-fat high-carb I end up with low blood sugar--this just doesn't work for me. And as it turns out, my husband has the same problem, only it was even more severe for him than for me. Then our daughters started having the same problems. Low-carbing has completely nipped that problem in the bud.